a step into the dark, music and life

Thoughts on random things, including music, life, etc...

07 February 2007

Who's been checking out your Hanes?

Alexi Murdoch's Time Without Consequence is a great album in the style of Nick Drake. "Orange Sky" has been championed as the best track on the album by different tv and movie soundtracks. It's a really mellow album, nice for just driving around for some peace of mind or for reading on a Sunday afternoon.
Jump from mellow to metal with Alice in Chains. "Man in the Box" and "Heaven Beside You" are two of their best 'heavier songs'. I prefer the Jar of Flies E.p. over all the rest. It's hard to beat songs like "No Excuses" and "I Stay Away".
Alison Krauss' "Restless" is a great song, so much better than the bluegrass tracks I have featuring her. The song has a lot more of a pop feel to it, with roots music to drive it along.
It's sad when a band's first album is their best, even after 3 more attempts to top it. All Star United's self-titled debut is one of the best Christian pop albums ever, full of British pop fluff done in a tasteful way. "Torn" is one of my favorite songs ever, then add in "La La Land", "Bright Red Carpet", "Angels", and "Drive". I saw them on their first tour days after they had signed their first record contract. They were with Third Day and Seven Day Jesus. Ian, the lead singer, actually signed one of my acquaintance's underwear. That was kind of scary.
"I Just Want to Be Loved" from A.M. Radio is next up, one of the great songs off of the Smallville Talon Mix. I hate that all of these shows are putting out albums of indie music, only because it's the popular thing to do, not because they really want to promote new music from people needing some exposure.
Even though I find it somewhat annoying, I have Amanda Marshall's Tuesday's Child on here. "Love Lift Me" and "Shades of Gray" are good songs, but the rest of it is either really generic or too soulful for me. I honestly have this because the producer ex-boyfriend of a girl I liked swore by this artist.
Ambrosia was a band I had heard of, but I only laughed at their fruity name. I heard an inside music podcast featuring David Pack and was surprised to learn that he was a founding member of the band and also wrote "Biggest Part of Me", one of my favorite songs. The rest of Anthology was decent, some better than other including "How Much I Feel" and "You're the Only Woman". Hard to believe that this prog rock came from the same West Side Story producing genius.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home