a step into the dark, music and life

Thoughts on random things, including music, life, etc...

04 February 2007

Like Dandruff from a Shoulder

We practiced tonight for Friday's concert. It went okay, but they pulled two new songs I have never heard before out for me. They know it frustrates me, but this is my main musical outlet for now. I guess that's a positive in a way though because it pushes me even more so to finish my music and find songs to play with my wife. I felt kind of rusty, buy how great can you feel when you are playing songs you've never heard. Before that, I was tangoing with paperwork regarding counseling in my school and it would be so much easier if I didn't have my counseling licenses. I called a guy I work to go meet up somewhere and just hangout while drinking coffee and tea. I think he just brushed me off even though we had talked about doing something earlier this week. Then later, I called another old friend of mine to see how he is doing since his grandmother just passed away rather than go by and see him at the time, because I didn't know the condition of all the family. He didn't answer and I left the always awkward voice mail. I have hated leaving voice mails since high school. I would have what I wanted to say to a girl planned out and then I would get an answering machine. That totally changed the dynamic because you were no longer talking to just her, it became addressing at least one parent or possibly the entire family which then meant if they weren't expecting your call, the girl would more than likely get railed about the whole thing and then she would be too embarrassed to even return the call, if she could even call back (which as weird as it sounds, some parents would not let the daughter call any guy back), or the girl would act like the whole thing never happened. Those were some torturous years for me for many reasons. It was like Mike Tyson was beating the crap out of my self-esteem. While pursuing my undergraduate degree, I worked at a pharmacy where I was responsible for calling people about prescriptions and I had to leave a lot of messages. This was even worse because of confidentiality I could not leave important details on the message because some people didn't want others to know personal info. How do you say something by saying nothing? Yeah, confusing as always.
I guess the whole point being, I don't really reach out to do much with others and the day I do I go 0 for 2. So much for being social. I just need to start talking to really old people at Book-A-Million again...that would be guaranteed reinforcement for my continued attempts to socialize.

More under A for the iPod:
A.J. Roach almost sounds like Travis Tritt on "Grandaddy"(I always want to add another d).
Abra Moore's voice soars on "I Do". It's not the greatest song, but I find it quite sexy.
Adam Richman's "Mary-Anne" is a great rock song. Who could resist the lyrics 'Mary-Anne, you're such a whore!' It's a great up-tempo number.
The Afters confuse me. I Wish We All Could Win starts off as I good rock album, one of those from a band of Christians trying to be taken seriously, or so I thought. As I made it through the album I came across a number of songs which sound like altar calls, not a bad thing, but obviously they have fallen into the trap set by the music market: if you put too may altar calls on an album, you get labeled and removed from reaching as many people as you could have with maybe one e.g., Lifehouse's "Everything". The album is definitely worth hearing and they have come along way from chilling with guitars in the corner of the Starbucks where they worked.
Aimee Mann has a lot of melancholy music and that's why I have never bought an entire album of it except for the Magnolia soundtrack, but it's not on my iPod. "Humpty Dumpty" is one of my favorites from her, but "Dear John", as good as it is, doesn't come close.
Al Green's "Let's Stay Together" has one of the best grooves ever.
Alannah Myle's "Black Velvet is one of my favorite songs ever. Her voice is great, but that bass-line vexes me each time I hear it. Too bad her career never went anywhere, she was hot.

more to come...actually thousands...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home