a step into the dark, music and life

Thoughts on random things, including music, life, etc...

31 January 2007

Thanks, but no Thanks?

This evening I went by Starbucks to work on a journal article for one of my classes and also to pick up coffee for my wife before I came home. I ended up next to a table full of people, the only table left in the place. It was rainy and nasty outside, so everyone was camped indoors with something warm to drink, except for me. I had a vanilla creme frappuccino and a piece of iced lemon cake. I started working on my paper and eventually habituated to the noise of the coffee grinder and voices. All four of the people at the table next to me got up and left to go outside and I noticed a set of keys left on one of the chairs. I grabbed the keys, walked outside, and asked about the keys. One of the guys says, "Oh, yeah, they're mine.", takes them from my hand and turns around to the people he was with, continuing his conversation. No thank you, other response from him. This offended me, even though maybe it shouldn't have. I am from the South, so I am used to people being polite and saying polite things like "thanks" and "you are welcome". It was just odd to be ignored by someone when I thought about not even fooling with the whole ordeal.

I was actually able to concentrate on my work, which was a good thing, but it is not the ideal place to meet for class, especially when it comes to discussion. I was really distracted by the music because I liked each song and was trying to figure out which artist played each song. I had to really focus hard on my professor's voice to understand what she was saying. The place is also very small and packed out with machines. I figured out that the cream on top of the frappuccino is basically solid lard and that's why it sticks to the top of my throat. Nasty, and I will keep it off of the thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home