a step into the dark, music and life

Thoughts on random things, including music, life, etc...

23 January 2007

Thankful for Reunion Tours

It's been a strange a strange thing for me. I usually discover bands after they have broken up or members have died, leaving the band a skeleton of what it once was. I first began listening to Toto (Past to Present and IV) in 1990 right after Jeff Porcaro died of a heart attack (um, cocaine overdose) and even though Simon Phillips is a great drummer, the band has never sounded the same. The Police first came to my attention when I finally figured out that "Every Breath You Take", "Message in a Bottle", "Roxanne", and "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" were all by the same band. Their greatest hits album was one of the first cds I ever bought and I wore it out. I ended up buying Message in a Box and loved every minute of it. Of course by that point in 1994, the band had long broken up and with all the venom left there was no hope of ever seeing them as a band. I became the rabid Sting fan, buying all of his cds and I also bought Andy Summers' The last Dance of Mr. X, a progressive guitar album. Crowded House broke up months before I purchased Recurring Dream: The Very Best of Crowded House. I couldn't get "Don't Dream It's Over" out of my head and then obsessed with the cd for months, discovering all the rest of the songs, which never made it to radio in the States.
I type all this as an introduction to this: Crowded House has reformed with Neil, Nick, and Mark (still looking for a drummer to attempt to replace Paul), and The Police are reportedly going to go on a stadium tour during this year!! I am so excited and ready to spend the money to see both bands play live. I am afraid of the ticket prices since, so many people have offered huge amounts of money to see reunion tours occur. I wasn't too surprised with the Crowded House reunion, but the Police reunion blew me away, even though it hasn't been confirmed as of yet. Only time will tell if Jeff Porcaro will come back from the dead and wow me with the total Toto experience. (I would have believed it was just as likely as The Police getting back together before I heard the announcement Sunday morning.)

Random: I hate fleas. The dog and cats are scratching and biting, although I have no signs on the infestation on me. I picked at least ten off of the dog the other day before we gave her a bath. The cats didn't enjoy the bathes as much, but survived. Vacuuming sucks, literally.

It's also Girl Scout Cookie time again! It was a lot easier to buy them this year, since my niece is selling them, and she is hard to resist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home