a step into the dark, music and life

Thoughts on random things, including music, life, etc...

13 March 2006

I Miss Elliott Smith

Although I never knew him, I really miss Elliott Smith. Unfortunately, I didn't discover his music until he had already passed away, even though I had read about him in Paste Magazine a couple of times. He put out such great music, even though from what I've read, it seems like he had a somewhat miserable life. It almost sounds shallow to say that I wish he still had more music coming out, but that's the only way I will ever know him. He killed himself and hearing his final cd Basement... is fairly depressing already without adding in that the album is basically his goodbye to life and the world we all know. I work with mentally ill people everyday and still I cannot get used to the idea that people just don't want to live. I haven't really been in that position, so I guess I can't relate to it very well, although being dead is probably easier than making certain decisions. Of course that's a matter of perspective.

American Idol is getting more annoying, so I am at the point of not watching or caring what happens next. I am sure I will hear the results somewhere after it's all over and I will hear the music while listening to Kidd Kraddick in the morning, along with Clarkson and all the Claymate jokes.

Looks like another bass gig is on the horizon; Bryan Adams stuff and some other rock songs yet to be determined. I need to write up the southern gospel gig, opening for the Crabb Family, but I have no time at the moment. I have heard we will be opening for the Talleys somewhere down the road. That should be interesting since I love southern gospel so much. I am a walking, breathing contradiction sometimes. I guess it's better to know that than to be ignorant of it.

Last week I read Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. It was a very interesting book about the Christian faith and how screwed up some people have made it seem to the world. Right after finishing that, I turned around and read Rolling Stone's article on Scientology...very interesting and confusing stuff. I try to keep an open mind, but it seems really expensive. Someone like me could never pay for a single audit, I can't imagine tons of them.

Ryan (currently listening to Elliott Smith's Either/Or)

2 Comments:

  • At 18/3/06 1:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't know if you saw my response to your question at my place. But if you like Velvet Elvis you also like Blue Like Jazz and Searching For God Knows what by Donald Miller.

     
  • At 19/3/06 10:35 PM , Blogger Ryan said...

    Thanks, I will check them out when I get a chance.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home